260 Reading Assignment: Health concerns in Computer Use

Computer Health And Safety / By Lasa Information Systems Team

Lasa Information Systems Team. (2006). Lasa Knowledgebase. Computer Health and Safety. Accessed from http://ictknowledgebase.org.uk/healthandsafety on 30 September 2011.

Abstract:

Lasa Knowledgebase provides a brief discussion on the various health hazards that computer users can acquire due to prolonged exposure/use of computers.  Its first part tackled about the Health and Safety at Work Act. Obeyance of this law should be strictly monitored by organizations/companies and even individual computer users to avoid the possible computer health risks.

The article also discussed the various computer health risks like musculoskeletal problems and eye strain and a greater awareness of existing eye problems.


Three Things I Learned from the Article:

1. There are existing laws on the prevention of computer health hazards, and that organizations must practice these policies of computer health and safety and be adhered to by all employees and management of the company.


2. Being aware of the proper use of computers will prevent health risks like musculoskeletal problems and eye strain.

3. Some of the eye risks are visual fatigue, blurred or double vision, burning and watering eyes, and headaches and frequent changes in prescription glasses.  For musculoskeletal problems,some risks are upper limb disorders such as repetitive strain injury (RSI) tenosynovitis and carpal tunnel syndrome, back and neck pain and discomfort, and tension stress headaches and related ailments.

Application / Implication of what I've learned to my work/to me as a person:


After I graduated, I was hired by a government agency as a technical officer where I was assigned to do various computer tasks.  Before stepping out of college, my vision test was 20/20. After two years of work, I was experiencing the blurred or double vision syndrome, and then diagnosed with poor eyesight.  I needed to acquire a compatible eyeglasses with anti-glare feature to diminish the risks to my eyes.  I should have been aware of the proper ways of using the computer.



Comments

Popular Posts