260 Reading Assignment : Computer Ethics

Ethics and Safety of Computer Systems / Michael C. McFarland

McFarland, M.C.; , "Standards-ethics and the safety of computer systems," Computer , vol.24, no.2, pp.72-75, Feb 1991
doi: 10.1109/2.67211
URL: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=67211&isnumber=2387

Abstract:
The article tackles about the ethical issue of computer/technology. It cited the medical information systems as an example of how technical people (say, engineers) with the ethical aspect of computer/technology. Three basic modes of ethical analysis are defined and used to analyze the ethical questions raised for such systems. The first, called normative ethics, seeks to develop and justify rules for right conduct. The second, called the ethics of virtue, asks what kind of person does the right thing; thus, it concerns questions of character. The third mode, called social ethics, recognizes that values and choices are not only expressed in individual actions, but are embodied effectively in social structures, and asks what structures are needed to support values such as justice and respect for human life and dignity.


Three Things I learned from the article:

1. Ethical analysis of use of computer can be assessed through the individual's perspective, to group's, then finally to the community's perspective.  People developing the computer and its software usually goes through the first and second modes of ethical assessment only, neglecting the most important one - the social ethics.

2.  Technology, specifically computers, must be a tool for the betterment of the majority.

3.  Computer is not just a toy nor commodity.  Its developers and users must know their obligations and the consequences of using such technology.



Application / Implication of what I've learned to my work/to me as a person:


I enjoy acquiring new gadgets for myself, from mobile device to personal computer.  I love upgrading them so I can experience the best of what technology may offer. Upon reading the article I cited above, I realized how naive I am about my obligations in using my gadgets.  All I know is how to tinker them and how to maximize their use for my personal benefit.

I never realized how serious the ethical issues on use of computers/technology.  I must admit that I am only at the first mode of ethical analysis as discussed by McFarland - the individualistic mode.  Now, I can start a deeper look at use of technology in my daily life. :)

Comments

Popular Posts